Adoption Procedures and Requirements
We at Scales & Tails are committed to finding caring, knowledgeable homes for the animals in our care. Many come to us from abusive or neglectful situations, and we want to make sure that never happens to them again. In order to better screen new homes for our fosters, we require all potential adopters to complete the application and screening process.
1. Applicant must fill in an adoption application COMPLETELY. The more details you can give us, the better! Many times the adoption process takes longer because we have to contact an applicant to expand or explain something on their application. Please be as specific as possible (ie: when describing what you would feed an iguana, please list specific foods, don’t just state ‘greens’ or ‘veggies’.
2. Applicants MUST be 18 or older. We cannot legally adopt to minors. We will sometimes consider adopting to younger people, but in these cases the parent or guardian must also complete the application process, and the parent/gaurdian must be the legal adopter.
3. Applicant must be adopting the animal for themselves, as a pet. We will NOT adopt out animals as gifts for others, or to be used for research, zoos, etc. These are pet animals only.
4. Applicant must provide a veterinary reference. We need to know that you have a vet who is capable of caring for exotic animals and their special needs.
5. Applicants must demonstrate a THOROUGH understanding of the needs of the animals they are applying for. Please do the research FIRST! If you are not sure about something, please ask us. We are more than willing to work with you to help you learn more about the animal you want to adopt. As long as you are willing to work with us and to learn, we will be glad to adopt to you when we feel you are ready.
6. In some cases, we may require a home visit prior to final adoption approval.
7. Applicant must be able to provide financially for any animals they wish to adopt. Will we ask you how much you make? Heck no! But we will give you a breakdown on the costs of the animal you want to adopt so you know what you will need to cover. Remember, reptiles, ferrets, and other exotics need to see the vet for a yearly checkup just like dogs and cats.
1. Applicants must fill out and submit an application form completely. Incomplete forms will be rejected.
2. The Board of Scales & Tails will review your application and contact you if we have any questions or need something clarified.
3. If the animal is a Scales & Tails foster, the member fostering the animal wil contact you. We may request a home visit or telephone interview at this point.
4. If the animal is NOT a Scales & Tails foster, your application will be forwarded to the current owner for their review. The owner will make the final decision of whether or not to adopt.
5. If all goes well, we will arrange the adoption of the animal you selected.
6. Scales and Tails does charge an adoption fee for all animals located in our shelter. Fees vary depending on species and age.